Applying to the UK
Please click on the following links if you have questions pertaining to:
- The general application process
- UCAS application form and in particular, the personal statement
- Oxford and Cambridge application procedures
Thinking about which university to apply to?
To help you decide, visit:
- Our University Information page to get links to the different universities in Europe
- VJC’s Higher Education Guide
1) Do the scholarship providers help us to set up a bank account overseas? Or do we do it ourselves?
Answer: Generally, most scholarship providers do not help you to set up a bank account overseas? You might in fact be required to inform them of your bank account details so that they can make direct transfers of your allowance.
2) Do we set up our bank accounts while we are still in Singapore or when we are there(overseas)?
Answer: The following are free accounts which you can easily set up in UK: Lloyds, Natwest, Barclays, HSBC. To set up an account in the UK, just pop into any branch and ensure that you have the following documents: bank drafts, passport, college acceptance letter, a statement of attendance.
If your parents are HSBC Premier/Advance customers, you can set up an account from Singapore. You will have to bring along your passport, IC, student visa and head down to a HSBC branch with your parents. As HSBC is one of our partners, do contact us if you wish to set up an account so we can help facilitate the process.
3) Which is a good bank to set up an account with?
Answer: Some popular banks include Lloyds, HSBC, Natwest and Barclays.
Preparing for Departure
Here are some resources that might be useful in your preparation:
- Visa application process – VFS Website
- Visa Making Guide – Wong Han Teng
- Imperial College Singapore Society’s All-in-one comprehensive guide
If this page does not answer any of your questions, feel free to contact us and we’ll get back to you ASAP!